Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Gossip

Gossip is a topic often talked about among the Christian community. I'm sure everyone has heard a few sermons or lectures here and there about it so why does it still continue so much among Christians? I think a big reason is because gossip is so easy to do. No doubt gossip is a sin and can really hurt people so I'm ashamed to say that often I don't even know I'm gossiping until later after the conversation is already over. The main issue here goes back to our tongues. It is so routine to just say what comes to our mind that we often don't think before we speak. God calls us to be slow to speak and to honor Christ in everything we say. For me this means slowing down and making a conscious decision in every conversation to think about what I'm saying. Another part of this is to take responsibility to call out other brothers and sisters in Christ when they are gossiping. It can be a hard thing to do but God calls us to be accountable to others and speak truth to them in love. If everyone just thought a little before speaking out we could be way less gossipy and more uplifting in our conversations.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts Leah. I think gossip is a habit we often fall into. It's so much easier to criticize a person rather than to say something nice about them. Why is that?

    ReplyDelete