Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Divorce

I do not believe that Christians should divorce their spouses, nor should any couple for that matter. When you say your vows you commit to that person through thick and thin, no matter what. God designed marriage to be forever. There are specific examples in the bible where God talks about divorce.
In Matthew 19 Christ addresses divorce. In verse 9 Jesus speaks these words, "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery." This verse speaks to a question many have regarding unfaithfulness and divorce. I think this is a fairly grey area. Some Christians believe that Jesus specifically states that marriage should not end under any circumstance while others say that this verse means divorce is okay in the case of unfaithfulness.
My personal belief is that divorce is never okay and that God never likes it, but that if there is unfaithfulness and no willingness to change, divorce is acceptable. On one hand I think that divorce can be avoided at all costs based on the person you choose to marry, but I don't want to be naiive and think that people can't change and wrong their spouse in such a way that it can be hard to forgive them. I just hope that I'm never faced with the choice of divorce with my spouse someday.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Leah. I, too, hope you find the "right" person to marry and that you're trusting God for that.

    What would you say about an abusive relationship? Should a person stay married to an abusive spouse and risk her/his own life?

    Mike

    ReplyDelete